You're probably going to have chicken wings, pizza, beer, dips such as this one and this one, and maybe some cake or cupcakes or cookies, the list goes on and on. Everyone loves good comfort food during the Superbowl game, but there is no reason why we can't have a lighter option for those of you who are doing so well with keeping your New Years resolution to lose weight! 🙂
Superbowl Party: Phyllo Fruit Cups with Homemade Whipped Cream
- Fresh blueberries (you need one blueberry per phyllo cup)
- 6-8 medium strawberries diced (this will top 30 mini phyllo cups)
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- 1 cup heavy cream (you can also use cool whip topping or whipped cream in the can if it is easier and more convenient for you instead of making whipped cream)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Desired amount of mini phyllo dough shells (like this or like the one in my picture above)
- Make the whipped cream. Start by getting a deep mixing bowl (stainless steel, not glass) and place it in the freezer with the whisk attachment from an electric mixer. Let the bowl and whisk chill for 20 minutes in the freezer. Please note that you should make sure your mixing bowl is thoroughly dried before putting it in the freezer, if there is even a dripping of water in the bowl, your cream will not rise or thicken.
- Pour 1 cup heavy cream into the mixing bowl after removing it from the freezer. Attached whisk to an electric mixer and beat cream on high speed. You will notice after two minutes or so that the cream is really thick, at this point add the vanilla and 2 tbsp sugar. continue to beat until the whipped cream is stiff. You can tilt the bowl if the cream does not move, then it is done. Place whipped cream in the fridge for 10 minutes while you prep the shells and dice the strawberries.
- Place shells on platter and dust with confectioners sugar.
- Place a few spoonfuls of whipped cream in a zip-lock bag and snip the end off with a scissor.
- Pipe whipped cream into the shells and top with fruit, you can put as much or less fruit as you desire.
- Serve immediately. You can also refrigerate some of these for a few hours, but not overnight as the whipped cream will deflate.