The first time I had this dip was when I was in college at St. John's University in Queens, NY. There was an Applebee's nearby and I remember always ordering this dip to share with friends. It's creamy, decadent, and amazing with pita bread. I always wondered what gave this dip its tangy taste, and realized later that it is the parmesan cheese that is mixed in. If you want this dip to taste superb then I recommend spending a few extra dollars and getting some REAL parmesan cheese, not the store brand stuff in the package.
That being said, this is yet another dip that your guests will LOVE. I am having around 6 people over for a small superbowl party, but if you plan to have more 8 guests, I recommend doubling this recipe. Enjoy!
Superbowl Party: Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach
- 15oz artichoke hearts (I used two 7.5oz jars)
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- Couple of dashes of cayenne pepper and black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thaw spinach and drain excess liquid, use a spoon to help press out extra liquid.
- In a mixing bowl, add cheese, spinach, chopped artichokes, and garlic, set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, blend, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream together. Add black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Add spinach mixture to cream cheese mixture and mix really well.
- Pour into a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil then bake again uncovered for 15 minutes or until top get golden around the edges.
- Serve hot with pita bread slices or tortilla chips.